In September 2019 we celebrated the 100th anniversary of the Welcome Club, a 100 years of giving a warm welcome to our friends in the Stanford Le Hope area. Here is a brief history..
A cinema opened in London Road on 27th October 1913, but was quite short lived and closed in 1918 leaving the building available for the Welcome Club to take over in September 1919.
On January 1922 we became members of the CIU, the Club & Institute Union allowing our members to use other CIU affiliated clubs on production of a valid CIU card.
In ? the building caught fire and had to be demolished and a temporary wooden building, affectionately known as the ‘hut’ or ‘shed’ was erected in its place while a new home was found. Being relatively small it gave members fond memories of its close, friendly atmosphere, memories that still exist to this day.
As it worked out, a car showroom which had been situated on the corner of Victoria Road ceased to trade and this provided the area for the new Club premises to be built. Since opening in 1985 the Club has had a few alterations, firstly enclosing the pavement area that we owned to make an outdoor seating and smoking area and now having a toilet block added which will be accessable from the hall. Once this is open we will be looking to give the old toilets a makeover